mymoment.onediscussion.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
mymoment.onediscussion.net

This is the place to find your inner peace, clarity, inspiration or friends. This is a place to have my moment...

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Thanking God For All Things
January 13, 2009 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 3:43 pm by afgriffin

» Eternal Happiness
January 13, 2009 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 3:37 pm by afgriffin

» The Unchanging Law of Judgement
January 13, 2009 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 3:10 pm by afgriffin

» He Wants You To Fly
January 13, 2009 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 1:37 pm by afgriffin

» The Psalmist Gets the Blues
January 13, 2009 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 1:20 pm by afgriffin

» June 18, 2010
January 13, 2009 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 3:21 pm by afgriffin

» June 17, 2010
January 13, 2009 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 2:36 pm by afgriffin

» June 15, 2010
January 13, 2009 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:35 pm by afgriffin

» June 9, 2010
January 13, 2009 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 3:00 pm by afgriffin

January 13, 2009

Go down 
AuthorMessage
afgriffin

afgriffin

January 13, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: January 13, 2009   January 13, 2009 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:05 pm

Willpower: The Fair Weather Friend
Joyce Meyer, Daily Devotional

January 13

But I say, walk and live [habitually] in the [Holy] Spirit [responsive to and controlled and guided by the Spirit]; then you will certainly not gratify the cravings and desires of the flesh (of human nature without God).
—Galatians 5:16

Willpower sure sounds like a great thing. We are led to believe that we have enough of it to fight off every temptation that comes our way. And sometimes it works. But let me tell you a little secret about willpower. Willpower is your best friend when things go well, but it's the first friend to check out when you get weary. I have found that if I really don't want to do something, my mind gives me plenty of reasons why I don't have to. My emotions even join in, saying, "I agree because I don't feel like doing it anyway."

Our soul (mind, will, emotions) would love to run our lives, but the Bible says we are to be led by God's Spirit. We are never instructed to be willpower-led, we are told to be Spirit-led. Willpower and discipline are important and vitally necessary to a successful life, but willpower alone won't be enough. Determination gets you started and keeps you going for awhile, but it is never enough to bring you across the finish line. Zechariah 4:6 (NKJV) says, "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit," says the Lord of hosts.

What happens if, instead of turning first to willpower in your time of need, you turn to God instead? God releases His power into your willpower and energizes it to bring you across the finish line. Willpower does not get the credit for our success, God does. Jesus said in John 15:5, "apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing." This is one of the most important and most difficult lessons we must learn if we want to enjoy the life Jesus died to give us.
Back to top Go down
afgriffin

afgriffin

January 13, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January 13, 2009   January 13, 2009 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:07 pm

God's Cure for Discouragement
By Chris Roberts

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.
Psalm 136:1

Christian, do you suffer discouragement? If so, Scripture’s cure is to give thanks to the Lord. Are you burdened and distressed? Give thanks. Do you face trials as high as the sky? Give thanks.

In this verse we have the hope and encouragement we need to face any burden in life. Give thanks to the Lord. Why? For he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever. He is good. He is merciful. He is loving. And his steadfast love, his covenant love, his sure and unfailing love, will endure forever.

One of the Devil’s chief tricks is to make us feel cut off from God. We are taught to rely on our feelings and when our feelings tell us that God has turned his back on us we think the end has come. But Christian, have hope. Though you lie in the pit of despair with demons howling around you, your God reigns and he is good and his steadfast love endures forever. You will be delivered from this trial, this test, this moment given to you so that by your obedience God’s glory might shine.

As you rejoice in the goodness and love of God you will soon realize that the sun has not gone down on your soul, that God shines as brilliantly as ever, that it was the enemies of God who tried to shield you from his radiance. The darkness rages against the light but cannot overcome it (John 1:5). God’s love shines still and it shines on all his children.

So give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.
Back to top Go down

January 13, 2009
Page 1 of 1